Hi, my name is Connie Jeon.
Last week, I talked about the importance of prevention and wellness when thinking about our health. Click to watch
. The reality is that most of us know generally what to do, but living healthy seems so elusive sometimes. This is because there’s too much information out there that claims so many different things.
Lets face it, from information about adrenal fatigue to leaky gut, where are you on this spectrum of health and disease and more importantly, where do you start when making improvements?
There’s also “medically” guided diets that promise you will drop pounds with hcg injections to paleo, and eating raw…what does this even mean?
So I’d like simplify things to get you started, and then refine and improve as we go deeper. Let’s start with what your body needs to perform optimally.
Your body needs to do these three basic things:
- Move without pain.
- Sleep without disturbance.
- Consume and digest foods that nourish your cells.
Remember, the basic “building blocks” of your body are essentially your “cells”. Our cells need micronutrients and phytonutrients, which are derived from “whole” foods, to produce ATP (adeno tri phosphate) and provide energy. It’s the ultimate “currency” for our body, which gives us energy to move, think, sleep, and ultimately “function”.
So when we eat, we “Metabolize” our food. What is metabolism? Metabolism by definition is a chemical process by which our cells receive nutrients for replenishment, growth, healing, and reproduction.
I feel that understanding what your body does and needs is important for you so that you can make informed decisions about what to do to improve and maintain your health.
I’ve worked with thousands of patients trying to rehabilitate and heal from their injuries that are wanting to get their body “right” holistically.
Through my experience, I’ve learned that the most important component to healing is their “mindset”. What’s interesting is that even though they know what the problem is, unless they are committed to making some changes, they limit their body from healing completely.
So here’s a simple challenge for you. Something to start the journey of transforming your mindset and making changes to your health. Everyday, I want you to start your day with lemon water. As soon as you wake up, squeeze 1/2 of a lemon (organic preferably) into a cup and pour 10 oz of lukewarm water into it. Drink this first thing in the morning. Then wait 15-30 minutes before eating or drinking anything.
Why? Here are the 10 benefits of lemon water.
- It helps your body hydrate and flush out toxins because of it’s electrolyte content (magnesium, potassium, and calcium). Especially first thing in the morning!
- Lemons are alkalizing to the body and it sets you up for success throughout the day.
- Lemons improve metabolism. Just like you start your engine to drive your car, lemons help to kickstart your digestive system to get you ready by stimulating the organs and priming them for the day ahead.
- Lemons help to boost your immune system as they contain ample amounts of vitamin C to fend off the bad bugs.
- It also helps you to lose weight. Lemons help to stimulate liver enzymes so that your body can detoxify toxic elements which help to indirectly burn fat.
- It helps you to have glowing skin. Lemons help to fight free radicals because they contain vitamin C and help to stimulate collagen formation in the skin.
- It helps with joint and muscle pain because of it’s detoxifying properties ultimately decreasing inflammation.
- It helps with digestion with its citric acid content, which increases gastric juice secretion.
- It helps to regulate bowl movements by improving gastric motility, thus improving gastric emptying.
- Lastly, it helps with anxiety and depression symptoms because of it’s magnesium content, which is great for “calming” your nervous system.
So why not try it everyday? Taking a step by step approach to making changes, starting with something as simple as this, is the key to success.
I’ll be sharing simple health tips that give you the most bang for the buck every week so that step by step, you reduce your overwhelming feelings and make progress towards a healthier version of you.
Please share this post with those who can use it. Try it for yourself and please share your experience with me. Remember to subscribe for more practical tips to thrive.
Stay tuned next week when I’ll give you three simple exercises to do everyday, that will improve your balance, posture, muscle mass, and also burn fat. See you then!